NiovéDownload PDF document
Niové’s heartwood is a fresh orange-brown in colour, darkening to light red-brown to dark red-brown, sometimes showing darker streaks on the quarter cuts. The 80-100 mm thick, light coloured sapwood merges into a light orange-yellow transitional zone which can be quite thick between the heartwood and the sapwood. Freshly cut, Niové has a peppery smell.
Properties of this timber species
- Botanical name: Staudtia stipitata / Staudtia kamerunensis
- ATIBT name: Niové
- Used for interior and exterior work, such as frames, panelling, stairs, thresholds, parquet, coachbuilding, wagon floors, turned goods, veneer
- Also used for furniture, but in its solid form it is too heavy
- Resistance to fungi: class 1 (very durable), the transitional zone between the heartwood and the sapwood is not durable and should be removed for outdoor uses.
- Resistance to insects: Termites class D (sapwood and heartwood very durable)
- (800)-850-(1000) kg/m3 at 12% moisture content
- Fresh 1000-1100 kg/m3
source: Houtvademecum © 2010 Centrum Hout Almere, 10e herziene druk
Timber that is stamped with the FSC® logo has been sourced from sustainably managed forests. This means that forest management meets the key requirements in terms of social, environmental and economic aspects. Ask for FSC-certified products.Read more