MansionaDownload PDF document
The heartwood is yellow to dark grey-brown, usually with greyish to black streaks. The 25-40 mm thick sapwood is white in colour. The colour of Mansonia resembles that of walnut. Due to the effects of the light however, the colour gets lighter and slightly paler. Mansonia has no distinctive smell or taste.
Properties of this timber species
- Botanical name: Mansonia altissima
- ATIBT name: Mansonia
- Other names: Bété
- Mansonia is often used as a substitute for walnut in high-class cabinetmaking, furniture-making, and for decorative purposes such as interior panelling
- Resistance to fungi: class 1 (very durable)
- Resistance to insects: Termites class D (sapwood and heartwood very durable)
- (600)-610-620-630-(700) kg/m3 at 12% moisture content
- Fresh 850-1000 kg/m3
Saw(dust) may cause irritation to the skin and mucous membrane for sensitive persons.
source: Houtvademecum © 2010 Centrum Hout Almere, 10e herziene druk
Timber that is stamped with the FSC® logo has been sourced from sustainably managed forests. This means that forest management meets the key requirements in terms of social, environmental and economic aspects. Ask for FSC-certified products.Read more