JatobaDownload PDF document
Freshly cut, Jatoba heartwood is fleshy in colour, discolouring from pink-red to red-brown, often with dark (black) streaks. Jatoba can be worked smoothly and then has an attractive sheen. The thick sapwood is grey to brown-grey.
Properties of this timber species
- Botanical name: Hymenaea courbaril / Hymenaea stilbocarpa / Hymenaea spec. div.
- ATIBT name: Jatoba
- Other names: Locust
- Indoor and outdoor work such as door and window frames, stairs, doors, panelling, parquet and floorboards, construction timber, furniture, hydraulic works, lock gates in freshwater, turned goods and handles for tools
- Resistance to fungi: class 1 (very durable). Given the expansive growing region and the number of different Hymenaea types, this number should be treated with some caution.
- Resistance to insects: Termites class M (moderately durable - sapwood and heartwood very durable)
- (750)-900-(1050) kg/m3 at 12% moisture content
Fresh 1150 kg/m3
source: Houtvademecum © 2010 Centrum Hout Almere, 10e herziene druk
Timber that is stamped with the FSC® logo has been sourced from sustainably managed forests. This means that forest management meets the key requirements in terms of social, environmental and economic aspects. Ask for FSC-certified products.Read more