AfzeliaDownload PDF document
The different types of Afzelia can be differentiated on account of the different coloured constituents. However, anatomically speaking there is little to differentiate them. Depending on the growing conditions, the characteristics of the wood can vary somewhat. The heartwood is dark yellow to red-brown in colour. The sapwood is pale yellow, 30-50 mm thick.
Properties of this timber species
- Botanical name: Afzelia bipindensis / Afzelia pachyloba / Afzelia africana / Afzelia quanzensis / Afzelia spec. div.
- ATIBT name: Doussié
- Other names: Pachyloba
- Thanks to its appearance and excellent qualities in terms of durability, strength and stability it has a wide range of uses
- Door and window frames, floors, velodromes, building timber, lintels, stair treads, coachbuilding, garden furniture, containers for chemicals
- Resistance to fungi: class 1 (very durable)
- Resistance to insects: Termites class D (sapwood and heartwood very durable)
- (620)-820-(950) kg/m3 at 12% moisture content
- Fresh 1100 kg/m3
source: Houtvademecum © 2010 Centrum Hout Almere, 10e herziene druk
Timber that is stamped with the FSC® logo has been sourced from sustainably managed forests. This means that forest management meets the key requirements in terms of social, environmental and economic aspects. Ask for FSC-certified products.Read more