Demerara GreenheartDownload PDF document
The heartwood of Demerara Greenheart is light to dark olive green, sometimes marked with brown or black streaks. The differences in colour can occur in one and the same trunk, which sometimes gives Demerara Greenheart a colourful appearance. The sapwood is light yellow or greenish, usually 30-60 mm thick and has no marked transition with the heartwood.
Properties of this timber species
- Botanical name: Chlorocardium rodiei
- ATIBT name: Greenheart
- Demerara Greenheart is listed in the Dutch norm NEN 5493 'Quality Requirements For Hardwoods In Road Construction Works, Hydraulic Engineering Works And Other Structural Applications’.
- Demerara Greenheart is categorised quality class Tropical, in strength class D70 (NEN-EN 338) according to NEN 5493
- Due to its great durability, the strength and the large dimensions in which the wood is available, it is used mainly for heavy construction work (hydraulic works, bridge and shipbuilding, lock gates and harbour works)
- In the engineering industry it is used as a prop for machines
- The chemical industry also has favourable experiences with Demerara Greenheart
- Resistance to fungi: class 1 (very durable)
- Resistance to insects: Termites class D (sapwood and heartwood very durable), marine borers class D, Demerara Greenheart contains poisonous constituents, as a result of which it is resistant to pile worm, except some tropical pile worm species in brackish water.
- (950)-970-1020-(1200) kg/m3 at 12% moisture content
- Fresh 1300 kg/m3
source: Houtvademecum © 2010 Centrum Hout Almere, 10e herziene druk
The stamp of approval for good forestry
Timber that is stamped with the FSC logo has been sourced from sustainably managed forests. This means that forest management meets the key requirements in terms of social, environmental and economic aspects. Ask for FSC-certified products.Read more